Queensland Parents for Secular State Schools (QPSSS) is a movement of parents who believe Queensland state schools need to be inclusive and welcoming places for all children, regardless of their religion, race or culture.
We believe that the current provision of Religious Instruction (RI) in state schools, for which children are segregated according to their religion, does not foster the inclusiveness and respect for diversity needed in our multi-faith and multicultural society.
In addition, we believe that requiring chaplains to profess a religious belief in order to provide a supporting role to state school students contradicts the Education Department’s own policy of respecting “the background and beliefs of all students and staff by not promoting, or being perceived as promoting, any particular set of beliefs in preference to another.”
QPSSS is not anti-religion, anti-theist or anti-atheist and makes no comment on the validity or otherwise of faith positions in this forum. As such, we welcome all like-minded secularists who share our goals. We feel that our children are currently being done a disservice in that their education fails to reflect the reality of, or prepare them adequately for, the society in which they live and which they will inherit.
QPSSS is made up of dedicated volunteers working to achieve the following objectives:
1. inform Queensland parents about current policies and guidelines relating to religious lessons and activities in schools;
2. advocate for the removal of religious instruction delivered by volunteers to select groups of students;
3. advocate for the introduction of a curriculum based program in which multiple religions and non-religious world views are taught by qualified teachers to all students;
4. advocate for funds to be redirected from the National School Chaplaincy Program to the provision of more professionally trained secular school counsellors and guidance officers.
Play your part by joining us today and:
1. Like our facebook page
2. Share this page with your friends
3. Contact us to share your experiences
4. Share your ideas on how we can further achieve our objectives.